Easy Beef Stroganoff! Once you try this simple one pot recipe made with ground beef you’ll realize this homestyle dinner doesn’t require anything fancy or expensive cuts of steak. It’s rich and creamy comfort food you’ll want to make on repeat!
These delicious noodles with beef and mushrooms are all cooked together in one pot which yields a a creamy sauce and flavor in every bite, plus hello easy clean up!
It’s incredibly hearty and perfectly satisfying. Plus it’s a dinner everyone in the family can agree on (as long as you don’t have mushrooms haters, just pass me their unwanted mushrooms).
- 1 (32 oz) carton low-sodium beef broth, divided (4 cups)
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- 2 1/2 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- 12 oz. baby bella (cremini) mushrooms, cleaned, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced (1 Tbsp)
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 Tbsp dijon mustard
- 2 tsp Worcestershire
- 8 oz. dry egg noodles* (5 cups)
- 3/4 cup sour cream,** rested at room temperature while everything cooks
- 2 Tbsp minced fresh parsley
In a small bowl whisk cornstarch with 2 Tbsp of the beef broth, set aside.
Heat 2 Tbsp olive oil in a 12-inch saute pan with tall sides or pot over medium-high heat.
Add mushrooms and onions and saute, tossing only occasionally (about every 3 minutes), until browned, about 10 – 12 minutes.
Add garlic and saute 1 minute longer. Transfer mixture to a sheet of foil or plate.
Heat remaining 1/2 Tbsp oil in pan over medium-high heat. Break beef into 6 portions and add to skillet, season lightly with salt and pepper.
Let brown on bottom, about 3 minutes then turn and start breaking up beef, and let continue to cook until just nearly cooked through, about 3 minutes longer.
- Drain fat if needed (if you used 90% lean you shouldn’t need to) then add paprika and cook 30 seconds longer.
Pour in remaining beef beef broth while scraping up browned bits from the bottom of pan. Add in dijon mustard, Worcestershire, mushroom mixture and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Bring mixture to a simmer, add egg noodles and toss mixture, cover and reduce heat to medium-low and let simmer 3 minutes.
Whisk cornstarch mixture once more then pour into liquid in pan***, toss mixture then cover and continue to cook until noodles are al dente, about 2 – 3 minutes longer.
Remove from heat, add in sour cream and toss. Let sit for 1 minute.
Sprinkle with parsley and serve warm.