EASY CREAMY WHITE CHICKEN ENCHILADAS
One of my favorite Mexican meals (besides chimichangas) are enchiladas. Funny side note: did you know the word “chimichanga” is Spanish for thing-a-ma-jig? Ha! This recipe for white chicken enchiladas are no joke though! ?
I’m not crazy about the red sauce enchiladas. The red sauce can sometimes be so overwhelming in taste for me that I can’t really taste the other flavors in the dish. And sometimes my acid reflux disagrees with anything red. Enter the white sauce. Now this is up my alley. A light-tasting sour cream sauce that has a hint of heat from the green chiles.
Some store-bought refried beans or one of my personal favorites – my 3-INGREDIENT MEXICAN RICE! Or, if you like, just serve with a delicious, leafy green salad. Also note, you can use corn tortillas for this but I find flour tortillas just roll up easier without tearing like corn tortillas do.
- 2 cups shredded, cooked chicken (can use a store-bought rotisserie chicken)
- 10 flour tortillas (taco size)
- 2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese (or mozzarella)
- 3 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 (4 oz) can diced green chiles
- salt & pepper & Adobo seasoning, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Spray 9 x 13 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a medium-sized bowl, mix together cooked, shredded chicken with one cup of shredded cheese along with salt, pepper and Adobo seasoning.
- Place chicken mixture into each of the flour tortillas.
- Roll them all up and place them in the prepared baking dish.
- In a medium sauce pan, melt butter.
- Whisk in flour and let cook and thicken for 1 minute (don’t let it burn).
- Add chicken broth and whisk until smooth.
- Stir in sour cream and green chiles. Be sure not to let the mixture boil.
- Take sauce off the heat and pour it over the enchiladas.
- Top with remaining shredded cheese.
- Bake for about 20-25 minutes.
- If you’d like, you can turn the broiler on high and broil these for a minute or two until cheese is slighly browned and bubbly.