- 4 large skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 4 c water to cover
- 1 pinch salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 2 cans mixed vegetables (such as Veg-All®), drained2 (10.5 ounces) can cream of chicken soup
- 1 container sour cream
- 1 can sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1c shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 sleeve buttery round crackers (such as Ritz®), crushed
- 2 tbsp butter
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees C or 400 degrees F.
- Submerge the chicken in water. Turn the heat to high.
- Add in the chicken into the pot. Season with salt and pepper to taste then allow the water to boil.
- Reduce the heat to medium and cover the pot.
- Simmer for 15 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Remove the chicken from the pot and let it sit at room temperature to cool for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Slice the chicken into small cuts.
- In a large mixing bowl, add in the chicken soup, canned vegetables water chestnuts, Cheddar cheese, and sour cream. Stir until well mixed.
- Transfer the mixture into a large baking dish and sprinkle crushed crackers on top and a dot of butter.
- Place inside the oven and bake for 30 minutes or until it starts to bubble and the top turns brown.
- Remove from the oven and let it sit at room temperature for at least 5 minutes.