- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes with mild green chilies, undrained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) beef broth
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cups instant brown rice
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, sliced
- 1 medium green pepper, sliced
- 1 cup shredded Colby-Monterey Jack cheese
- In a large cast-iron or other heavy skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink,6-8 minutes, breaking into crumbles; drain.
- Add tomatoes, broth, chili powder, salt and garlic powder; bring to a boil. Stir in rice and peppers. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until liquid is absorbed, 8-10 minutes. Remove from heat; sprinkle with cheese. Let stand, covered, until cheese is melted.
Freeze option: Before adding cheese, cool beef mixture. Freeze beef mixture and cheese separately in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally; add a little broth if necessary. Sprinkle with cheese.
1-1/3 cups: 340 calories, 13g fat (7g saturated fat), 64mg cholesterol, 807mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 4g fiber), 23g protein.