For the cake:
- 1 C. Oats
- 1 ½ C. Boiling water
- 1 C. Brown sugar
- 8 Tbsp. Butter softened and unsalted
- 2 Large eggs
- 2 tsp. Vanilla extract
- 1 ½ C. All purpose flour
- 1 tsp. Baking soda
- 1 tsp. Cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. Nutmeg
For the topping:
- ½ C. Brown sugar
- 4 Tbsp. Butter unsalted and melted
- 1 C. Coconut flakes
- 3 Tbsp. Heavy whipping cream
- ¼ C. Chopped walnuts
- Place the oats in a pot with the boiling water and let sit off of the heat for 20 minutes to soak.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream together the one cup of brown sugar and the 8 tbsp of butter until well blended.
- Add in the eggs and vanilla, and beat until combined.
- Mix in the flour, oats, baking soda, cinnamon and nutmeg until well incorporated.
- Press the batter mixture in an even layer in the bottom of a 9×9 well greased baking dish.
- Bake for 40 minutes.
- While the cake is baking, mix together the ingredients for the topping.
- After the cake has baked, switch the oven setting to broil, top the cake with the topping mixture, and broil until browned on top.