Our Mexican Lasagna recipe is made with layer upon layer of spectacular south-of-the-border flavors. A drool-worthy dish with just enough heat to wake up your taste buds, you will surely beat the picky palates in your house with this fabulous casserole that takes 15 minutes of prep and 15 minutes to bake. A favorite of adults and kids alike, it is sure to be a member of the clean plate club at your house too!
Make sure you print the recipe, you are going to want to hold onto this one!
It is amazing, easy to make, and it freezes extraordinarily well!
Either wrap individual portions in plastic wrap and then place in a freezer bag, or divide recipe between 2 smaller casserole dishes and freeze one (freeze it uncooked, then just defrost, cook and enjoy!).
I live with the pickiest of picky eaters: my meat and potatoes husband, and my picky 7 year old who never likes the same thing 2 days in a row.
While we rarely eat the same meals during the day, dinner is our time for the family to gather together, break bread and catch up on the day’s events. Dinner is the meal that brings us together.
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 small yellow onion, grated or finely chopped
- 2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon New Mexico chile powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (14.5 oz) can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 cups frozen sweet corn
- 1 (4 oz) can fire roasted diced green chiles
- 1 (10 oz) can enchilada sauce (or our homemade enchilada sauce)
- 12 8” large flour tortillas
- 8 ounces Pepperjack cheese, shredded
- 4 ounces Colby Jack cheese, shredded
- 6 oz can sliced olives, drained
- 2 scallions, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Drizzle olive oil into a large skillet, over medium high heat. Add beef, onion, paprika, cumin, chili powder, salt and pepper to skillet. Brown beef for about 5-7 minutes. Add tomatoes, beans and corn. Stir to combine. Allow to cook while you begin preparing the baking pan.
- Smooth about 1/3 of the enchilada sauce over the bottom of a 9×13 baking pan. Lay tortillas on the bottom of the pan, slightly overlapping until pan is covered (about 4 tortillas).
- Spoon half of the beef mixture over top of the tortillas, spread evenly. Layer tortillas on top of beef mixture. Smooth about 1/3 of the enchilada sauce over the tortillas. Sprinkle 1/2 of each of the cheeses on top. Scatter the green chiles over the cheese. Add the remaining beef mixture. Spread evenly. Layer tortillas on top of beef mixture. Spoon remaining enchilada sauce over tortillas. Sprinkle remaining cheese on top of tortillas. Garnish top with olives and scallions.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes, until cheese is melted and lasagna is warmed through. Remove from oven and sprinkle with cilantro.
- Serve and enjoy!