Pineapple Upside Down Cupcakes
In a perfect world, I would make these from scratch. And by all means if you want to, go right ahead.
But sometimes a doctored up cake mix does wonders. I mean adding brown sugar and butter to cake mix? Sounds like a sure win to me.
These Pineapple Upside Down Cupcakes have been calling to me for years. Try not to burn the top of your mouth off eating them straight out of the oven. I did.
WHAT ARE PINEAPPLE UPSIDE DOWN CUPCAKES?
Pineapple Upside Down Cupcakes are a mini version of your favorite cake with butter, brown sugar, pineapple, and a cherry on top!
- First, spoon some melted butter, crushed pineapple, brown sugar, and a cherry in the bottom of a muffin tin.
- Next, top with the cupcake batter and bake.
- Finally, invert the cupcakes for beautiful Pineapple Upside Down Cupcakes.
I always have plenty of helpers in the kitchen. My son poured a teaspoon (or two) of butter in each cupcake tin. Then he put a tablespoon of brown sugar on top.Then he put a cherry right in the center of the brown sugar.
I tried using crushed pineapple and pineapple tidbits to see which one worked better.The crushed pineapple won the experiment by a long shot.It had way more flavor and looked prettier. The tidbits give a nice flower shape but most of them got stuck in the tin and the pineapple flavor wasn’t as strong.
The cupcake batter is just made according to the package directions but with replacing the water in the recipe with pineapple juice. Make sure you don’t over fill your tins.
Invert the cooked cupcakes onto waxed or parchment paper and you’re done!
- cooking spray
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 24 maraschino cherries
- 1 (20 ounce) can crushed pineapple
- 1 (18.25 ounce) package pineapple cake mix (such as Duncan Hines(R) Pineapple Supreme)
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/3 cups pineapple juice
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon confectioners’ sugar for dusting, or as needed
- Move an oven rack into the middle of the oven. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Spray 24 muffin cups with cooking spray.
- Line a work surface with waxed paper.
- Spoon 1 teaspoon melted butter into the bottom of each sprayed muffin cup.
- Spoon 1 tablespoon brown sugar in each muffin cup.
- Press a maraschino cherry into the center of the brown sugar in each muffin cup.
- Spoon a heaping tablespoon of crushed pineapple over the cherry and compact it with the back of a spoon into an even layer.
- Mix pineapple cake mix, eggs, pineapple juice, and vegetable oil in a large bowl with electric mixer on low speed until moistened, about 30 seconds. Turn mixer speed to medium and mix for 2 minutes.
- Pour pineapple cake batter into the muffin cups, filling them to the top; do not overfill.
- Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean, about 20 minutes.
- Allow cupcakes to cool at least 5 minutes before inverting muffin cups onto the waxed paper to release. Serve with pineapple and cherry sides up. Sprinkle cupcakes lightly with confectioners’ sugar.
Recipe Source : cookingclassy.com