Changing your eating habits can be really hard and despite all of the fitness experts talking about eating more greens will help you feel full, most people realize this doesn’t always seem true. And cutting down on portion sizes can be a beast too!
If you are trying to stick to a healthy diet, but you’re feeling hungry all of the time, there are quite a few veggies that are essentially guilty free. The next time you’re tempted to grab a bag of chips, try a big serving of one of these veggies instead:
1. Kale One cup of kale only has 33 calories, plus it’s full of fiber and protein. You’ll also get a high dose of folate in each serving.
2. Tomatoes Don’t be shy about adding these to your salad or eating them raw as you’ll only consume about 25 calories per medium-sized fruit. You’ll also get plenty of B2 vitamins, potassium, and fiber.
3. Celery Full of potassium, folate, and fiber, this veggie is mostly made of water. A 1/2 cup of celery is only 10 calories, according to the USDA, so eat away!
4. Grapefruit Grapefruit is a popular diet food because it has a lot of fiber, which can make you feel full longer. If you can handle the lip-puckering flavor, eat these as often as you’d like. One-half of a grapefruit has 50 calories.
5. Blueberries Blueberries are a great addition to any breakfast (try topping your oatmeal with them). While these are a bit higher on the calorie scale (about 85 calories in 1 cup), this powerhouse berry contains 14 percent of your fiber needs, plus it’s packed full of antioxidants.
6. Cucumbers Eat away at this water-based veggie. With only 45 calories per cucumber, you can toss these on your salads with unabashed freedom. Most of the nutrients are found in the peel, so make sure to leave a little on there when you’re cutting them up, according to LiveStrong.
7. Broccoli According to the USDA, one cup of chopped broccoli contains 31 calories. Steam this veggie or eat it raw to enjoy maximum benefits of this power vegetable which contains 20 percent of your daily fiber content and vitamins A, C, E, and K.
8. Lettuce If you’re craving something crunchy, grab a bag of iceberg or romaine lettuce. With only 20 calories per serving, you can fill up on the veggie and get your crunch fix with no guilt needed.
9. Blackberries This summer favorite helps with digestion, keeps you awake and tightens the skin. You can eat a handful of these berries for about 60 calories.
10. Strawberries You may be surprised to hear that one serving of strawberries contains more Vitamin C than oranges. As a bonus strawberries contain plenty of potassium and fiber, and you can snack on one cup of the fruit for 50 calories.
11. Cauliflower If you’re feeling very peckish, you can eat an entire large cauliflower head for 200 calories! Despite its innocent look, cauliflower actually packs quite a punch. Filled with fiber, Vitamin C, and folate.
12. Herbs and spices Dust your foods with fresh herbs and spices! The calories in these are negligible because most people don’t ever use a full serving size. For example, Chili powder only has 6 calories in 1 teaspoon and 1 tablespoon of parsley has 1 calorie, according to Calorie Info. Spice away for better tasting meal!
Take this list the next time you head to the store so you can stock up on plenty of tasty foods that you can munch on anytime you want! If you like these tips make sure to share them with your friends on Facebook.