- 1 1/2 cups uncooked brown rice
- chicken bouillon cube (Knorr)
- 2 bay leaves, divided
- 1/8 + 1/4 tsp cayenne, divided
- 1/8 + 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/8 + 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 celery, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 lb 96% lean ground beef (Laura’s lean beef)
- salt and fresh pepper, to taste
- 1 lb medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 scallions, chopped
- Cook brown rice according to package directions in water along with a chicken bouillon, 1 bay leaf and 1/4 tsp salt and 1/8 each of salt, cayenne, paprika and thyme.
- When the rice is almost done cooking, heat a large heavy saucepan on medium-low heat.
- Add the oil, onions, green pepper, celery, bay leaf and garlic. Sauté on medium-low heat until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add beef, salt, black pepper, remaining paprika, thyme and cayenne pepper.
- Sauté until browned, about 10-15 minutes; add shrimp, cover and cook 5 more minutes.
- When the rice is done, toss with beef and shrimp and combine well. Top with scallions and serve.
Yield: 5 servings, Serving Size: 1 1/3 cups
- Amount Per Serving:
- Freestyle Points: 7
- Points +: 9
- Calories: 346.5 calories
- Total Fat: 6g
- Saturated Fat: g
- Cholesterol: mg
- Sodium: 151mg
- Carbohydrates: 44g
- Fiber: 2.5g
- Sugar: 1g
- Protein: 28g
CLICK NEXT BELOW TO CONTINUE