Yields: 6 servings | Serving Size: 3/4 cup|Calories: 351| Total Fat: 14 g | Saturated Fat: 5 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 30 mg | Sodium: 496 mg | Carbohydrates: 34 g | Dietary Fiber: 5 g | Sugars: 6 g | Protein: 22 g | SmartPoints: 11
- 3 cups dry whole grain macaroni noodles, cooked according to the package directions
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 jalapeño peppers, seeded and diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder, (optional 1 tablespoon prepared mustard)
- 2 tablespoons flour (I used white whole wheat)
- 2 cups low-fat milk
- 2 cups low-fat Colby jack cheese
- 4 ounces low-fat cream cheese
- 1/2 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
- Salt and pepper, ot taste
[irp posts=”18038″ name=”Feta: The World’s Healthiest Cheese That Nobody Talks About”]
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions and jalapeños and cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and continue cooking 1 more minute. Stir in the mustard powder and flour and season with salt and pepper. Stir for 1 minute.
- Add the milk and bring to a boil, whisking constantly. Boil for 1 minute and turn off heat. Stir in 1 1/2 cups of the Colby jack and all of the cream cheese. Add the cooked pasta and stir until well coated. Transfer to a casserole dish.
- Top with breadcrumbs and remaining cheese and bake for 30-35 minutes until top is browned and cheese is bubbly. Allow to stand for 5 minutes before serving.