Yields: 6 Servings | Serving Size: 1 Cup | Calories: 437 | Total Fat: 21 | Saturated Fat: 10 | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 65 mg | Sodium: 600 mg | Carbohydrates: 38 | Dietary Fiber: 6 | Sugar: 9 | Protein: 26 | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 13 |
- 4 cups cooked whole wheat noodles (macaroni was used in this recipe, egg noodles also will work)
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms, white or button (wipe clean)
- 2 (4.5 ounce) cans solid white Albacore Tuna in water, shredded (add tuna and water)
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened, low fat
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- 1-1/2 cups (reduced-fat) cheddar cheese, shredded (recommend block cheese)
- Preheat over to 375 degrees.
- Note: If desired, add additional cheese to the top of the casserole before baking.
- Cook noodles according instructions on the package or al dente.
- In a medium skillet add oil and sauté onions and mushrooms over medium-low heat until mushrooms begin to release moisture, about 10 minutes. In a large mixing bowl, combine sautéed onions and mushrooms and all remaining ingredients, reserving 1/2 cup cheddar cheese for the top.
- Add the tuna mixture to a 3 quart casserole dish or 9″ baking pan, top with the 1/2 cup of remaining cheddar cheese. Bake 15 minutes covered and 10 minutes uncovered, or until cheese is hot and bubbly.